Saturday, July 08, 2006

Hey, how you been? It's been awhile

Yes, it's been awhile. I've been doing much of the same thing... working and training. Having said that, looking back, it looks like a lot has happened.
I started my team danskin group training. Whenever I have a bad day, the team training brings me out of the blues. It's been a great motivator. I'm not sure if it's because I'm a competitive person and I find myself subconsciencely competiting with all these ladies or if I just really enjoy training with other people. Not to mention that because I started training with Dillon, my coach/trainer I'm a sometimes a bit ahead of the woman in the group. For example, we had our bike test the other week. Before our group workouts there is usually a small lecture or a guest speaker. For our bike test we had one of the guys from Bicycles West talk to us about bike safety and such. He also took a look at our bikes and if we had some minor things to fix, he fixed them for us. Well it turned out that my front will was a bit tweaked. It could be fixed by tightening the spokes but I would eventually have to replace the whole tire, rim and all. Since this took a bit longer than expected, I could only do the short distance bike test. Not wanting to keep people any later than they wanted to be ('specially standing on a bike path as it's starting to get dark) I took off on my bike test - a 3 mile timed ride. I took off and got rolling. I felt pretty darn good and didn't realize how fast I was going. I finished the ride in 7 minutes. Don't get me wrong, I was working, but I was still able to talk and not be too winded. I even stayed within my target heart rate. So this week when we went on our endurance ride, I was put in the speedy group. I think that might have shocked one woman who apparently bikes all over. She was in group 2. Me and my beat up 1980s Scwhinn beat her hotrod bike.
Today we had our swim endurance workout today and one woman spent the whole time backstroking. I don't know how that is going to be good in a triathlon. You can't see in front of you. She did some sighting, but she pretty much had to pull herself up out of the water and turn her upper half around. Backstroking as a well to slow things down and get your breathing back to normal or just to get yourself out of a panic state, sure. Not for the whole swim portion of the race. It just seems dangerous.
I also did a mini triathlon. It was the first time I put everything together. It felt pretty darn good. I only did a quarter mile swim and a 6 mile bike, but I did the whole 5k run. It felt good. I didn't actually time myself for any of it. I definitely felt that after the swim the rest is all gravy.
I'm also trying to figure out my school stuff. Do I want to go to Shoreline and get the associates degree and then get a job as a dietetic technician and continue with schooling that way? Or do I want to get all my math, bio and chem classes out of the way, take the GRE and go to UW for my masters in nutrition to become a nutritionist? I'm going to try and talk to the head of the Dietetic technology department over at Shoreline and see what she recommends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home