Thursday, February 23, 2006

Today was a long, long day

I went to Summit Research this morning to see if I fit the criteria for any of their depression studies. Unfortunately, I don't. They told me that I was "grieving" the loss of a relationship and not depressed. This is no longer about the end of my relationship. This is much bigger. And for someone to sit and talk to me for a few minutes to tell me that, is awful. Yes, I do believe that I am grieving, but I don't think it's about my relationship anymore.

After that, I went home and called UW Medical Center. As of today it has been 2 weeks since I first called them to try and get in to see a psychiatrist. I was able to talk to a person, and that person had to put me thru to another voicemail. Which told me to leave a very clear and concise message and they will call be back in about 48 hours. I left my message and then called the UW Medical Center's Patient Relations office. I explained that I have been seeing a therapist who thinks that I should be on medication for depression and that I needed to see a psychiatrist and they would be able to determine which medicine would be good for me. I also explained to her that it has now been 2 weeks since starting this process with their organization. I also told her that I understand that while I am not the at a crisis level, I am hurting and I am doing what I need to do to get better. And it appears, from this patient's view, that they are making it incredibly difficult to become healthy again. She apologized for what I was going thru with them, and told me she would call the manager and get right back to me. That was at 11 this morning. It is now 5:30 pm. Apparently getting right back to someone means 2 or more weeks. Fortunately I was referred to another psychiatrist by a friend and will hopefully be able to get in to see him soon.

Then I went back to work for a couple of hours. At around 2 it was off to see my therapist. I'm so glad that I have the therapist that I have. She is truly a wonderful person. And now I'm going to compose a letter to the head of the UW Medical Center. As well as my insurance company and the Seattle PI.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home